The R visualization capabilities within SAP Analytics Cloud enable you to create interactive visualizations for advanced statistical and analytical analyses. You can:
- Insert R visualizations into your stories
- Interact with your visualizations, using controls such as filters
- Edit your R scripts and preview visualizations
- Share stories containing R visualizations with other users
R packages that are supported by SAP Analytics Cloud
To use R capabilities in SAP Analytics Cloud, your system must be configured to connect to an R runtime environment. Depending on your region, these are your options:
- R server that you set up — with this option, you have an R engine running on a machine in the cloud and configured to SAP Analytics Cloud. This points the R engine for R execution. In this case, you are responsible for configuring the R engine (i.e. install the package you want).
- R server runtime environment provided by SAP — this option is an SAP Cloud Platform service that provides ready-to-use R Server runtime to SAP Analytics Cloud and does not require any configuration by you. This environment comes with a list of preinstalled packages. Tenants created and configured in the EU1, EUDP, AP1, US1, and US2 can use or access the R server runtime environment deployed by SAP Analytics Cloud.
The figure below shows where in SAP Analytics Cloud you can switch between the two R server options.
If the R server connection is not configured, you can still run scripts on an R server deployed by SAP Analytics Cloud if it is available in your region.
In the future releases, the provided R server and R packages will be updated each quarter with the latest public version. Therefore, we recommend you ensure the R scripts you’re using are always running with the latest version available.
For security reason R-server runtime environment located in the SAP Cloud Platform can’t access the external network, for this reason there is no possibility to access external resources with R script (i.e. to install a package or connect to a database).
The R server runtime environment service provided by SAP currently runs R version 3.3.4 (Rserve 1.7.3), and comes with pre-installed packages below: